Saturday, March 17, 2007

Headset modification (Altec Lansing AHS515).

In the original headset (Altec Lansing AHS515) microphone just wasn't working very well, it was positioned too far from the mouth. But since the headphones themselves are pretty good, I decided to fix the problem rather then buy a new headset. I would also hate to waste money :-).
I extended the microphone lever with a piece of 1/4'' copper tubing. Here is a modified headset:Now it works great and looks kinda funny. I like the copper tube extension (shiny!) Here is an original device:

1 comment:

Samira said...

Ahhh, Igor's engineer side put to work!
This reminds me of my first walkman which my mum gave to me when I was ~13. She asked a friend who was coming to the US to get it when those devices had just started to appear in Argentina’s market. I used to listen to music in bed, before I fall asleep (?), and let them on the floor once I was half asleep. One day I step on them when I was getting up, and the headset cracked. I was so sad, my dad decided to fix it using some plumber’s putty that then he painted. They looked (and smelled!) horrible after that, but I was really happy to be able to use them again!
I think I've said this already, but you and my dad would get along really well…