Saturday, October 13, 2007

The color of life (is lilac).

I think in terms of defining what's possible for a human being it's a step up: http://www.climbing.com/exclusive/features/lifeislilac/

A short summary: Silvia Vidal is a renowned big-wall {very long routes on rock faces} climber, known for her extreme aid-solos of the new routes. She weights 95 pounds and is 5 feet 2'' tall (there is a photo of her if you scroll down the page that is given above). During her climb of the Shipton Spire she spent 21 days on the wall (alone, she did it solo), so she had hundreds of pounds of gear to carry and haul to the base and up the route. And the route itself is extremely difficult too (5.10 A4+ 2900 feet, grade VI).


It's as inspiring as it gets :-). Amazing!

Igor

4 comments:

Samira said...

Doesn't she look like me when I had hair? And when I had determination? And when I wasn't a big, lame sissy? One day, I'll be back and I'll be a climber...

Igor said...

She does look like you.

>And when I had determination? And when I wasn't a big, lame sissy?

Gosh, you are a bit harsh on yourself ;-). Samira, one thing for sure (among many others) you are not a sissy. When climbing season starts, I'd like to ask you to climb a nice trad multi-pitch line together. I think (in fact, I know) you will make one hell of a partner. This summer, be it Grey Rock or Petit Grepon or whatever. In my opinion, there might be more Silvia Vidal in you than you think ;-).

Samira said...

Well, it would be an honor. I guess I'll have to straighten my spine back up, stop complaining and start going to the gym with you if I want to get back in shape, huh? This Friday?

Igor said...

That's the spirit!!! Samira, it will be awesome if you can join me this Friday! It almost makes me regret that today is only Tuesday :-).

>Well, it would be an honor.

It will be mutual.